Monday, October 3, 2011

I was listening to the washing machine in the garage agitating.  For some weird reason, the sound of it is comforting to me.  All wrapped up in a ball is the the sound, the thought of clean clothes, the warm smell as they come out of the dryer.

All that reminded me of when I didn't have a washer.  When I was a kid I thought using a wash board and imitating the women around me hand washing was fun!  That was when we were in Mexico and every house was set up for hand washing.  The washboard was built in.  I thought I was so cool standing there with the bar of soap and a can to slosh water on the clothes to make them all soapy.  I even hand washed my sister's cloth diapers!

I also remembered how my visits to the laundromat were not so bad either...when I finally got there.  I would rope in the kids when we were down to our last outfits then take up about 10 washers.  I didn't mind the washing, it was packing it all there and back again.  I've always appreciated having a washing machine at my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment